Thursday, August 03, 2006

Spring (okay, Summer) Cleaning

Having received an e-mail from Peter Reynolds Books that their link had gone and died as they'd moved their websites, I thought I ought to put a few things in order. I've checked the blog links and (I hope) removed the ones that lead no-where or to dubious commercial sites, but have not checked the others links.

I am aware that the Hertherset Baptist Church Link now leads to a web-squatter, but am advised that they mean to kick them off. However, if any of the other links have died or now lead to on-line gambling or worse, please drop a comment and let us know.

The picture is where I spent this afternoon, in a rare off-day from research or writing, Ruperra Castle, Glamorgan. Built in 1626 for Sir Thomas Morgan, it was destroyed by fire on 7 December, 1941. I was unable to get close to the building, which is dangerous, but was able to walk round the park and eat blackberries, which were plentiful. Apparently there is a restoration scheme in the pipeline, which will probably see the house converted into flats, along with the substantial outbuildings, and new housing built (hopefully not so as to spoil the aspect of the castle).

Personally, I think it's a crime that such a beautiful building, set in an unspoiled park, should have been allowed to lie unused and unloved for seventy years. Nonconformity and popular culture returns tomorrow when I've gone off the boil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home