Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Conversion of Howell Harris 5: Assurance of Divine Love

On 18 June, at his home, Trefecca (pictured), Harris was granted a deeper glimpse of the love of Jesus. He recorded this in his diary:

"Being in secret prayerI suddenly felt my heart melting within me, like wax before the fire, with love to God my Saviour; and also felt, not only live and peace, but a longing to be dissolved and be with Christ, and there was a cry in my inmost soul which I was totally unacquainted with before, ‘Abba, Father, Abba, Father!’ I could not help calling God my Father; I knew that I was His child, and that He loved me and heard me. My soul being filled and satiated cried, ‘it is enough; I am satisfied. Give me strength and I will follow thee through fire and water!’ I could say I was happy indeed! There was in me a well of water springing up to everlasting life; and the love of God was shed abroad in my heart by the Holy Ghost."

From the furnace of conviction and deep experience of the love of God, Howell Harris went out into the highways and by-ways, preaching his saviour to all, desiring that every man might know Jesus as he knew Him. Revival broke out soon after Harris’ conversion, and the man from Trefecca would be mightily used of God.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home