Monday, July 31, 2006

The onebook meme

Jen_Est at Jenson's Blog has 'tagged' ourselves at Free St. George's in what seems to be a fun game. So, here goes:

1. One book that changed your life (other than the Bible):
The Doctrine of Repentance by Thomas Watson. It shook me out of a carnal self-confidence, convincing me that repentace is more than feeling.

2. One book you've read more than once:
The Last Hero by Leslie Charteris. The third of the Saint books, it ends with a supreme act of self-sacrifice by one of the Saint's confederates. He gives up everything for the happiness of his friends, the life of a foe and the peace of the world.

3. One book you'd want on a Desert Island:
Works of Richard Sibbes. A sweet divine who'd comfort me when I'm all alone.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Texas Baptist Crucible by James Spurgeon. A truly terrible tale of fundamentalism's wacky side.

5. One book that made you cry (or feel really sad):
Lower Than Vermin by Dornford Yates. A novel about the decline of the British Aristocracy which ends with the compulsory purchase of the loved estate. The last words: 'From him that hath not, even that which he hath shall be taken from him.'

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Alfred Thomas: A Biography of the first Lord Pontypridd. Biography of a notable Welsh Baptist and politician. I may get round to writing it someday.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Jean Harlow: an Intimate Biography by Irving Schulman. A libellous travesty.

8. One Book You're Currently Reading:
Works of Richard Sibbes volume one. Found all seven volumes on sale for £65.00. I proved unable to resist.

9. One Book you've been meaning to read:
A Treatise of the Covenant of Grace by John Ball. Puritan reprint I got through the post this morning.

10. Now tag five people:
Triablogue (which must be good for two); Fred Butler; Libbie; Jonathan Moorhead.

5 Comments:

Blogger Evangelical books said...

I received an email about the book by John Ball on the Covenant of Grace. Is the printing and binding of the book any good?

2:07 pm  
Blogger Hiraeth said...

Binding is paperback, printing is facsimile. A fair copy and it looks professional.

10:24 am  
Blogger PeterinScotland said...

Most people who have seen it (at least those who are interested in this kind of book) have said that they liked how it looked. As the publisher, and a bookseller, I have a slightly more critical eye and notice that (1) The books have not been pressed properly, they do not lie totally flat when put on a table; (2) the printing ink is rather black - I understand from comments about Lightning Source on the internet that it's basically a laser print; (3) the lettering is not as crisp as it might be (tiny dots around the letters on some pages - which could be due to the method I used in preparing the images); (4) Page 65 is half an inch lower on the page than all the rest (entirely my fault - must have been a slip of the mouse). However the cover and the paper do look very nice, and I read quite a few pages on the Lord's Day and really enjoyed it. I'd not really got into the original copy before as it was rather fragile. Nice to have a copy I can handle easily. Having never published a book before I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

11:26 am  
Blogger Hiraeth said...

Thanks, Peter. I'd agree with your points, but didn't want to do it myself as that might be gossiping. You are a good Christian man, sir.

Oh, and Alfred Thomas died unmarried. He was the only Lord Pontypridd. This discovered during research, NOT by looking him up on wikipedia.

11:56 am  
Blogger Highland Host said...

I hope no-one thought they'd get MY version. Which they might now.

5:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home